Thursday, May 21, 2009

Chapter Two...The Questions (Part 3)

Heart Condition...(18-22)

The question centers around fasting.  The Pharisees were so caught up in their weekly rituals that they seemed to be more concerned about doing it than why they did it.  As Jesus is explaining to them why, he is exposing their heart condition.

What is the "new wine" and what do the "wineskins" represent?  Jesus, the bridegroom, was with his disciples; investing in them, feeding them, helping them grow, teaching them about his Kingdom.  All this was going on because the disciples' hearts were open.  They were willing to listen and be taught.  Their hearts were as "new wine skins."  Ready for the "new wine" or Jesus' teachings.  The condition of the Pharisees' hearts were as "old wineskins"--hard and not fit for "new" things.

I asked the guys how they would describe their heart condition.  I ask myself how I would describe my own heart condition.  Is it hard and unwilling to receive correction as was the Pharisees'?  Do I get caught up in my own "traditions", "habits", or "my way of thinking"?  How do I accept change or new ideas from my colleagues/co-missionaries with whom I work?  Am I a team player?  Do I allow Christ to teach me things when I'm struggling?  Or do I just get mad at the situation or others?--oops!

I really want to have an open heart, ready for Jesus' "new wine."  He will make my heart a "new wineskin" ready for his "new wine."

How is you're heart condition?

One of the interesting things about this passage is how it connects to the last passage.  The Pharisees couldn't understand why Jesus would reach out to someone who was a "sinner".  That was new and unacceptable to them.  That is new and unacceptable to the "old wineskins."

This also ties into the next passage; a debate about the Sabbath Day.  The Pharisees had a tough time accepting Jesus' correction of what it meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment